Sunday, May 23, 2010

2 weeks

Just played "take me home country road" at The Mothman diner here in town. There was a movie called the Mothman Prophecy about this town with Richard Gere a few years ago. It's a great little town right on the Ohio river.



I was right! That place I thought was a coffee shop is a gambling den. There all over the place down here. Asked one of the locals. He was like, "that's where you go to lose your money, but they serve free food.".



We did just over sixty miles from Parkersburg today. The hotel we're staying at is supposedly haunted. It is a classic hotel. Skeleton key to get into the rooms. Our room is huge with a bathroom in between the bedroom and the living room. Old school big boxy fake wood finish tv. Great wall paper, art work and furniture. Just a ton of old school charm.

Earlier today about 8 miles into the ride I stopped at a gun show. Never been to a gun show. 4 bux to get in, what could I lose? Knifes, guns and gun wielding good ole boys everywhere. It was held at the Lubbeck fire department. Wasn't supposed to but I took some pix. The knife guy was like, "pick it up...you have to know what a knife feels like in your hand.". The gun guys weren't so forward. I did hold an AR15. Asked the guy to take a pic of me holding it. He said no pix. There was also some Nazi ww2 memorebelia.



A few miles down the road after that I got attacked. You could see the pollen flying through the air. My body went into this uncontrollable sneezing fit. Never experienced anything like that. Luckily I had some sudafed with me. It happened a few hours later in the day as well.



Just going to post some pix now. Stopped to take pic of this ford from the 1920's. Met the woman who owned the home. She was real sweet. Also had a cool barn in her yard. The car belonged to a neighbor who is trying to sell it. She told me she hosted a couple of people about ten years ago who were going across country on horse back. That's pretty cool. Didn't think that would be possible.



One thing I can say about WV is it has amazing wildlife. Seen so many different animals down here. Birds of every color and size. Pheasants, finches, cardinals and even a bald eagle. Today a deer crossed right in front of a deer crossing sign. That is the first time i've ever seen that in my life.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Great to meet both of you on your rainy "day off". in Rockwood. MAde it over the top the next day and onto the C&O Tow Path. SUper muddy after both days, made it to Hancock the following day.
    Nice to be able to follow your progress,
    Be safe,
    Brian B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Brian. We ended up going to Falling Waters. Thanks for the recomendation. It was great to meet you and your brother and have lunch with you guys. That was a couple of miserable muddy days. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete