Sunday, May 16, 2010

8...to infinity and beyond!

Yeah boy! Day 8 and feeling great!

Yesterday I did two post and lost both on my Iphone. That kind of sucked, but whatever. Wasn't meant to be. Right now I am about to watch my favorite show on TV, Breaking Bad. It's the only show I will have to watch every week til it ends. Luckily the campground I am staying at has AMC in there game room and a computer. Life is Good!

Wow, so yesterday morning we woke up at the Town Hill Bed and Breakfast. Earlier today I posted some pix of the breakfast. They really are a bed and one of the best breakfast I've ever had. Donna baked us a Alabama Tomato Pie along with everything else you can imagine. From homemade bisquits to juices, teas and coffee. Off the charts. Just got an e-mail from them tonight letting us know that a couple, Meg and Tom who we camped next too last night was staying there tonight. Good call guys! Again, thanks a million Dave and Donna. Will definitely send more folks your way and see you in the future.

The best part about waking up at Town Hill is the epic down hill you get to do in the morn. Went the fastest I've ever registered on a bike to date, 45 MPH. That was super exciting to go that fast. It was also an 8 mile down hill ride to the C & O trail head. So coasting for 8 miles is a great way to start the day. I also posted a picture of Bills place. A honky tonk bar in the middle of no where. Had all that money stapled to the ceiling. A group of bikers called the Booze Fighters rolled up while we were there. They are fighting for the booze ever since 1946 I found out. One of the oldest bike crews around. C & O stands for the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. It's where the mules used to pull the barges up and down the canals. So it makes for a great bike path.

Yesterday had lunch in Old Town, MD. At the Old Town High School. Which hasn't been in use since 2000. They had all there graduating class pictures since 1925 up on the walls around the cafeteria. The average class was about 20. Now some woman named Katinka runs the restaurant and her son restores classic cars in the rest of the building. He had some sick cars he was working on. Can't post picks because I'm on a desktop at the campground.

Last night was our first night camping out. Not to bad, just had to adjust from city living to sleeping in a tent. It was great and a beautiful site rite on Potomac. Except for the fact it was right next to a rail yard where the noise was off the charts. The loudest place I've ever spent the night in my life. If you've been to my place you know that is hard to beat. So I'm looking forward to a peaceful nights sleep after breaking bad right next to the river down here. Wasn't feeling to good after my swim in the Potomac last night either. Then this morning at breakfast I found out you shouldn' be swimming in there.

Met some great folks in Cumberland where we had breakfast. Kurt at the bike shop there was super helpful. He's written a couple of Civil War bike touring books himself. He let us use his computer to route out our day. Which we had to switch up. We came back north a bit to save on some of the hills. We have been following this bike trail that goes all the way from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C. We are going to cut west just north of here and then back south to a place called Berea and catch the Trans America Bike trail. Today was just about another 50 mile day. Yesterday was supposed to be our day off and was a 50 mile day as well.

I'll post some pix tomorrw when I get service. Have a picture of a snake I came across. This thing was almost 7 feet long. First thing to tomorrow is a trip to the Post Office. Sending a bunch of stuff home. Weighed my bike at Kurt's bike shop and it was over 80 LBS. That is insane. Think it was 31 LBS with just the racks. Another 50 LBS of stuff. Time to unload. Make this trip a little easier.

Thanks for reading along. Sorry to inundate you with so much, but got to use the computer while I can. Service seems to be thinning out with my phone. Also have not been to one place with internet access since Philly.

No comments:

Post a Comment